[darcs-users] [issue1605] Allow test when sending or pushing rather than recording

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Sep 14 13:39:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 21:05:39 +0200, Reinier Lamers wrote:
> The 'Ignore-this' line is part of the patch identity, isn't it? So the
> untested and tested variants become different patches AIUI.

Hmm: how about this proposal?
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1613

People use revision control systems for different things.  Darcs users use it
to keep track of patches; Git and users of other DVCSes often use it to keep
track of repo history.

It would be nice if a future version of Darcs offered the ability to track
history type information as well.  The idea is that given a patch, people would
be able to ask Darcs questions of it like:
- who applied this patch?
- when was it applied to what repository?
- who signed off on it?
- when was this merged with branch foo?
- has this patch been tested? (see David's --tag-on-tested feature)
- what version of the this patch are we looking at?

I imagine that the way to implement this would be to have some sort of
'optional metadata' layer of things that are not really part and parcel of the
patch, that don't affect its identity or commutation properties, but which can
somehow been shipped around.