[darcs-users] [issue1588] option for darcs pull to just get non-conflicting patches

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Sep 14 21:40:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 20:52:02 +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>> Would it really change what it matches on?  Doesn't "this patch would
>> match conflicted if we pulled it" give the same result as it would if we
>> had pulled it and then darcs changes?
>
> Hmm, I see. My point was that it should be the same as 'darcs changes' in
> the remote repo before the pull, whereas yours is that it should be the
> same as 'darcs changes' in the local repo after the pull.

AH, yes that clears things up!

> I still lean somewhat towards my view, because it's (a) easier to
> implement and (b) it's what the 'touch' matcher already does.

One annoying thing about my view is that we'd also have to change the
touch matcher too.  On the other hand, maybe it would pay off in the
long run.  If I'm using a matcher to pull patches and I think my first
instinct is to think that it means *my* foo and not their foo.
Likewise, when I say 'conflicted', I mean 'conflicted for me'.  So the
problem with intuition is that not everybody has the same one.  If I'm
right about this, I kinda want to hold out for something that does match
intuition better.

But if it really is just pretty arbitrary then we should definitely go
with what's easiest (as you say).  Also supporting your view: in the
worst case, we could always start with the easiest to implement and then
change our minds later.

As you can see I can pretty much flip/flop to any position on this.

> That name sounds fine to me, but I'm still interested in opinions on
> whether --dont-allow-conflicts should instead be repurposed to just omit
> conflicting patches from those offered.

I think some people might like a mechanism for forcing pull to fail
if there are conflicts.  But I'd be happier to hear opinion from
non darcs hackers.