[darcs-users] darcs patch: Use index-based diffing in Record. (and 57 more)

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Mon Sep 14 23:06:07 UTC 2009

Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> writes:

>> Thanks.  So we have a last resort, but let's try to maximise our
>> happiness with the code first.
>
> Hmm. Actually, after looking at things again after a while today, I have to
> partially withdraw this - sorry!
>
> As things stand (and as I understand it), readDarcsPristine in
> Storage.Hashed.Darcs knows how to *read* the darcs pristine root pointer and
> also how to read plain pristine for old-fashioned repos. However the knowledge
> of how to do the writing is left in darcs itself. This disconnect is asking for
> trouble, IMO.
Well, I agree that this is a little stretched. But if you want to read the
darcs pristine, you have to do this -- deferring this to the client level is
just pretence. So the real question is, whether 3rd party tools are allowed to
read darcs repositories or not, without going through libdarcs (is _darcs a
black or a white kind of box). I'd go for white, since (a) if people want to
look, we can't stop them and (b) we can't change the format anyway, since old
darcs needs to be able to read it. Moreover, I think that open format is the
right attitude for a VCS -- transparency is as important as robustness and
correctness. (After all, I want to be able to peek into the, as kowey says, box
with my crown jewels.)

Yours,
   Petr.