[darcs-users] Darcs and Operational Transformations (Team ECOO)

William Uther willu at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Sep 15 00:46:18 UTC 2009

Hi,
   Sounds very interesting.  If you let me know when the next meeting
is, if there is one, I might see if I can make it.  I went as far as
starting to develop my own VCS, but time constraints overtook me (this
is a side-interest of mine).  I have a few things to note:

   - Google Wave also appears to use OT (and was developed by some
guys I know at Google Sydney I believe).
   - My understanding is that instead of enforcing TP2, both SO6 and
Google Wave enforce tree-structured patch sharing.  Is that still true
for SO6?
   - Thanks for the links to FoCAL.  Looks interesting.

   My thoughts on making an OT based VCS went in a different direction
from 'conflict free', but rather moving to a representation where the
conflicts were an integral part of the representation.  This means
moving away from linear strings.  The OT internals all worked with
that more expressive representation, but it would be linearised and
conflict markers introduced when you built a working copy.  The patch
creation code would handle mapping back from the linearised workspace
to the more expressive representation.

   The best analogy I can think of is wanting to introduce square root
in a number system.  The reals are great, but sometimes the square
root operation takes you outside the reals, e.g. sqrt(-1).  So you
expand your representation space to the complex numbers.  In that
space you can take square roots freely and everything works.  I guess
you could say that in this expanded space my system is conflict free,
or you could look at is as the 'conflicts' corresponding to the
'imaginary' part of the representation.
When you need to feed a complex number into a system that cannot
handle them, you need to force things back to plain reals - in the VCS
case this consists of building a conflict marked version in a plain
text format.

Be well,

Will      :-}