[darcs-users] Darcs and Operational Transformations (Team ECOO)

Jean-Philippe Bernardy bernardy at chalmers.se
Tue Sep 15 06:31:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 16:47:25 +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
>>    * Within the Darcs community? Read up on OT literature (in
>>      separate mail) on formal properities and proofs thereof
>>      (Could be very interesting for Ian and all his Coq-writing
>>      work)
>
> I've added some references to http://wiki.darcs.net/Bibliography
>
> Of particular interest appears to be Lushman and Cormack 2003, which
> proves correctness for an algorithm that "maintains consistent state
> when state is replicated across sites"... by "transform[ing]s updates as
> they are transmitted among sites.".  It would be nice if this paper was
> more widely available for download.
>
>> 6. Team ECOO talked a bit about some new directions they are
>>    exploring in conflict-free revision control.  It sounds rather
>>    familiar to Jean-Phillipe Benardy's work on Focal.
>
> Jean-Phillipe: there is a body of research on 'Commutative Replicated
> DataTypes' (CRDTs) which may be of interest to you.  Try these:

I like it!

> - http://www.loria.fr/~molli/pmwiki/uploads/Main/weiss09.pdf
> - http://www.loria.fr/~molli/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PublicationYear?action=upload&upname=Skaf09dexab.pdf
> - http://www.loria.fr/~molli/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PublicationYear?action=upload&upname=RAHHAL2009INRIA-003663171.pdf
>
> For the ECOO team, have a look at this masters thesis from
> Jean-Phillipe's students:
> - http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~bernardy/AConcflictFreeVersionControlSystem.pdf

This isn't the best writing I'm afraid. It might help to read (my
posts in) the following thread:

http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-January/016988.html

It seems however that, after a cursory glance, the following paper
presents almost the same idea:

http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00177693/en/

(Thanks Eric for digging it up... I just fixed the link)

Cheers,
JP.