[darcs-users] Darcs and Operational Transformations (Team ECOO)

Claudia.Ignat at loria.fr Claudia.Ignat at loria.fr
Tue Sep 15 07:18:15 UTC 2009

Hello,

Thank you Eric for the references you sent us. And thanks again for the
presentation about Darcs and for your effort to ‘merge’ the Darcs
community with the OT community. We will have a look in more detail
about the work you do on the theory of patches in Darcs and Camp and the
work in FoCAL project. It would be great to have some meetings in the
future.

To answer to some of William questions, both So6 and GoogleWave
architecture are based on a central server which simplifies the OT
algorithms.

So6 is based on the SOCT4 algorithm whose description you can find here

Nicolas Vidot, Michelle Cart, Jean Ferrié and Maher Suleiman, Copies
convergence in a distributed real-time collaborative environment,
Proceedings of CSCW 2000

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=358916.358988

In SOCT4 the operations are ordered globally using a timestamp given by
a sequencer. An operation generated at a site is executed immediately at
that site but it is not broadcast to the other sites until it is
assigned a timestamp and all the operations which precede it according
to the timestamp order have been received and executed at that site. Due
to the global order of integration, the TP2 condition is not necessary.

GoogleWave uses the Jupiter algorithm based on operational transformation

David A. Nichols, Pavel Curtis, Michael Dixon and John Lamping,
High-latency, low-bandwidth windowing in the Jupiter collaboration system,
Proceedings of UIST 1995

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=215585.215706

Jupiter algorithm does not need TP2 condition.

The tree structure that you mentioned comes from the fact that
GoogleWave deals with XML documents.

If you need an OT algorithm for a tree structured document you can maybe
have a look at this one

Claudia-Lavinia Ignat and Moira C. Norrie, Multi-level editing of
hierarchical documents. Journal of Computer Supported Cooperative Work,
17(5-6):423-468, December 2008.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/472w061011830726/

Regards,
Claudia

PS. As ECOO team is divided into two main axes, there are only some
people from the group interested in collaborative editing, I listed them
as recipients of this email. So, in order not to spam some of our
colleagues, I think it would be better to continue the discussion only
with the listed ECOO members instead of ecoo at loria.fr