[darcs-users] darcs patch: Generalize and tidy up license exceptions file.

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Thu Sep 17 05:45:42 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> +I sent a personal letter to each of these but never got a reply

This personal pronoun ("I") is not bound in this scope.
Suggest replacing with literal ("Eric Kow").

> +GPL ONLY

Which GPL?  GPL-any, GPL1, GPL1+, GPL2, GPL2+, GPL3 or GPL3+?
Most of the source files do not clarify this.

(Addressing that question may well be off-topic for this patch.)

> +GPL + OpenSSL + Eclipse + Common Public License
> +The following people accept these terms
> +
> +  As a special exception, you have permission to link this program with code
> +  which is licensed under the Common Public Licence, the Eclipse Public Licence,
> +  or the OpenSSL License, as long as you follow the requirements of the GNU GPL
> +  in regard to all of the software in the executable aside from the software
> +  which is licensed under the Common Public License or the Eclipse Public
> +  License.

I think it's important to make clear that this is a strict subset, by
stating something like this at the very top of this file:

    Currently it is a license violation to REDISTRIBUTE binaries of
    Darcs linked against OpenSSL.  We hope to eventually fix this.  In
    the meantime, GnuTLS can be used.

> +(I consider Makefile changes moot because we've switched to Cabal)

Unbound personal pronoun ("I").