[darcs-users] darcs patch: relicense Darcs.Commands.GZCRCsas BSD3

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Thu Sep 17 06:45:20 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>
>> We actually have a file of license exceptions in the release/
>> directory that we could tidy up.
>
> Debian has a draft specification[0] for a file format that describes
> licensing and copyright status for all files in a project.  If
> upstream (i.e. this community) used the same format, that'd make my
> life easier. The specification includes some examples.

There doesn't seem to be a way of describing licensing based on splits
other than files, which is the main thing that the license exceptions
file is trying to document.

As far as Debian is concerned, just assuming GPL for the entire codebase
is fine (because all the licensing we do have is GPL-compatible). There
are two cases of non-GPLness that I know of: the openssl exemption, and
the BSDing. In both cases they are incomplete, so they are only useful
for people who might want to pull pieces of darcs out and do stuff with
those pieces, which is unlikely to apply to anyone who (just) gets it
through Debian.

I guess any contrib stuff might be an exception to that (in that it
would be useful to end-users standalone and might be non-GPL).

Cheers,

Ganesh