[darcs-users] darcs patch: relicenseDarcs.Commands.GZCRCsas BSD3

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Sep 18 06:31:15 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> "Sittampalam, Ganesh" <ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com> writes:
>
>> which is the main thing that the license exceptions file is trying to
>> document.
>
> Well, currently it documents what license(s) each contributor is
> prepared to use.  Anyone who then wants to use a module from Darcs'
> codebase then has to work out which contributors worked on which
> files.
>
> It'd be nice if we could also start listing any files where we CAN
> declare a particular license, because all contributors to the file to
> date have agreed to a particular license.

I would say that the right place to list this information is in the file
itself, because then any new contributions to that file implicitly
follow that licence.

>> As far as Debian is concerned, just assuming GPL for the entire
>> codebase is fine (because all the licensing we do have is
>> GPL-compatible).
>
> This is not strictly true.  I am required by policy to document the
> license of all work within the upstream tarball.  Even if "they can
> be treated like they are GPLd", this is not relevant.

All I can see in policy is the statement "Every package must be
accompanied by a verbatim copy of its copyright and distribution license
in the file /usr/share/doc/package/copyright"
(http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-pkgcopyright
and
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s-copyrightfile).
Is there some other statement that's stricter? I think the distribution
licence for darcs is GPL.

Ganesh