[darcs-users] darcs patch: add "parallel pairs" (and 6 more)

Kamil Dworakowski kamil at dworakowski.name
Sat Sep 19 09:23:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Nicolas Pouillard
<nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Ganesh Sittampalam's message of Sat Sep 19 01:18:00 +0200 2009:
>> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
>>
>> > I have a question about the hunk editing feature.
>> > Does it leave the pristine tree as is (like git), or not?
>>
>> Once you've edited a hunk, you can choose whether or not to record the
>> resulting fragments. If you don't record any of them then you'll be back
>> where you started - the edited hunk won't be offered next time. So for the
>> feature to be any use you'd have to record something and thus change
>> pristine.
>
> I think, I wasn't clear enough: the git edit-hunk feature enables you commit
> an edited hunk without changing the pristine directory accordingly. That is
> you end up with an unrecorded change.
>
> I don't know what semantics is the most useful, maybe both are useful. In fact
> I was expecting the pristine to be updated the first time I used the git
> feature.

I know this feature in git. I think you mean "working dir" not the
pristine. The pristine are the files created by the sum of patches you
have, in other words this is the recorded state of the repository.
Editing a hunk in git does not change the working dir.

Cheers,
Kamil