[darcs-users] darcs patch: add "parallel pairs" (and 6 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Sep 19 11:47:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:

> Excerpts from Kamil Dworakowski's message of Sat Sep 19 11:23:30 +0200 2009:
>> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Nicolas Pouillard
>> <nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Ganesh Sittampalam's message of Sat Sep 19 01:18:00 +0200 2009:

>>> I think, I wasn't clear enough: the git edit-hunk feature enables you
>>> commit an edited hunk without changing the pristine directory
>>> accordingly. That is you end up with an unrecorded change.
>>>
>>> I don't know what semantics is the most useful, maybe both are useful.
>>> In fact I was expecting the pristine to be updated the first time I
>>> used the git feature.
>>
>> I know this feature in git. I think you mean "working dir" not the
>> pristine. The pristine are the files created by the sum of patches you
>> have, in other words this is the recorded state of the repository.
>> Editing a hunk in git does not change the working dir.
>
> Oh yes my bad, I completely meant "working dir" instead of pristine.

OK, so record/amend-record never cause the working dir to change, so
neither does editing a hunk during those commands, which are currently the
only places it is enabled. However, you can use darcs revert after you've
recorded some fragments of the edited hunk, to revert the others.

I could in theory enable edit hunk for darcs revert (and perhaps darcs
unrevert too), but I don't know what it buys you over just editing the
file directly.

Ganesh