[darcs-users] darcs patch: relicense Darcs.Commands.GZCRCs as BSD3

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Sep 20 08:15:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009, Jason Dagit wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:
>> Any other of my contributions, in the past or future, are also
>> hereby offered under a BSD3 licence. If I ever revoke this
>> declaration I will post to the mailing list to say so. (Obviously
>> any revocation could only apply to contributions made after that.)
>>

> My only question about doing this is:  Can you really license your
> changes to Darcs as BSD3 where they are changes to existing GPL'd code?
> I thought that the GPL applies to derivative works is why I ask.  So, if
> I'm understanding it correctly, then I think what you're trying to do
> only makes sense for 1) bits where you are the original author of the
> that bit 2) modifications to darcs where the previous authors agree to
> release their changes as BSD3.

I think this is right: but if there were a future relicensing effort for
any particular part of the codebase, then my existing declaration would
help things along, particularly if I'd disappeared by that point for some
reason. And as far as GZCRCs goes my declaration does have immediate
effect.

> Another case I'm unclear about is when you are the OA (original author)
> of a chunk and then someone who hasn't agreed to relicense as BSD3
> changes something in your code.  In that case, I think you'd have to
> revert (and rewrite) instead of just rewriting if you want to keep it
> BSD3.

In the case of GZCRCs the copyright header is now BSD3; I agree with you
about files where that's not the case.

Ganesh