[darcs-users] darcs patch: relicense Darcs.Commands.GZCRCs as BSD3

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 13:37:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>  > If copyright were a proposed type system, it'd be rejected for being
>  > logically incoherent. :)
>
> Actually, not.  It's really not that hard to understand how copyright
> works, not by comparison with Hindley-Milner ... unless your self-
> interest clouds your understanding.  Lawrence Rosen _Open Source
> Licensing_ is the best source I've come across.

1. Any copyrighted work can be represented as a number, x; this number
is therefore copyrighted.
2. Two things are identical & the same only if they share all the same
properties.
3. The number from #1 can also be derived via non-copyrighted
processes (eg. enumerating all bitstrings); this number is therefore
not copyrighted.
4. If I have #1, and I then have #3, I have the same number, yet by #2
I do not, as one is copyrighted and the other is not.
5. Therefore x != x. This is a contradiction.

(It's important to remember that there is no theoretical justification
or sensible theory of copyright & intellectual property. What's up
there is only rubbish. The justifications are purely practical.)

A good presentation of this position is
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/lawpoli/colour/2004061001.php

--
gwern