[darcs-users] no more checkpoints, but hashed repos for GHC in Darcs 2.4?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Sep 21 15:40:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:42:44 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> You're right - I wouldn't say this is a high priority based on those
> Linux/ext3 figures I posted.  However, it might be a problem in other
> setups.

I realise that a lot of Darcs usage happens on Windows (ouch), but it
would be good if we could get away without a format change for Darcs
2.4.  Maybe we can do all our format-changey things in one go, for
example: packs, subdirs, compact hash filenames
<http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1591> for Darcs 2.5.

On the other hand, making the subdirectories thing work just for caches
sounds like it would be nice.  I've created a new ticket for it
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1624

> For example on Windows I reported that 'darcs whatsnew' on a
> hashed repo with 2.3 is much slower than an unhashed repo (don't know
> if there's a ticket for this one, I couldn't see one).  I don't know
> whether this is due to the large directories or something else.

Looks like we need more information

http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1585
--no-cache may be interesting