[darcs-users] Building darcs on Windows does not require MSYS

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Mon Sep 21 15:40:26 UTC 2009

Salvatore Insalaco <kirby81 at gmail.com> writes:

> We do not need MSYS, except for running the test suite.
Yes, that's true. I think Reinier copied that from my old announce (which I
wrote at a point where I didn't realize you can use the cmd.exe ... shell to
talk to cabal and darcs).

> We should also recommend to download a binary, when available, as a
> curl-linked-with-pipeline darcs will be much faster than a "plain"
> cabal one.
Now, that's an interesting problem. Do we have any numbers to back this up? I
would expect it to be slightly faster, but not dramatically -- especially not
on the widely recommended hashed repositories.

Yours,
   Petr.