[darcs-users] darcs patch: relicense Darcs.Commands.GZCRCs as BSD3

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon Sep 21 21:39:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> > we can essentially simplify it to GPL. This is akin to a Wikipedia
> > editor putting his edits and articles under CC-BY, in addition to
> > Wikipedia's standard GFDL/CC-BY-SA; the legal distinction is there,
> > but in practice, it doesn't mean anything except for new works or
> > works where the entire history (=the whole chain of derivative
> > works) has been relicensed.
>
> In the case of a collective work, it certainly does have meaning.  And
> what is a program but a collection of functions?  While not every
> function will be original enough to be independent of other
> copyrights, or to be itself copyrightable, some subset will be, and I
> am certain that it is that set of functions that Ganesh is aiming at.

FWIW, I had three intentions:

- Switch the licence of GZCRCs to BSD3 so that any further changes to that
are under that licence. If in future the darcs project decides that
everything should be GPL and wants to change that licence back then I
would be disappointed but not outraged.

- Offer any other independent pieces of code I wrote under a BSD3 licence,
as you describe. Since the copyright headers of the files in question
haven't changed, this will have limited impact if anyone makes significant
changes to that code after me. Such is life.

- Make a future relicencing exercise for whatever reason (e.g. openssl
exemption or even a complete BSD3 switch) easier, particularly if I've
disappeared. If other people whose work I've built on switch too, then
suddenly the end result becomes BSD3 or whatever.

Ganesh