[darcs-users] Building darcs on Windows does not require MSYS

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:00:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> wrote:
>> We should also recommend to download a binary, when available, as a
>> curl-linked-with-pipeline darcs will be much faster than a "plain"
>> cabal one.
> Now, that's an interesting problem. Do we have any numbers to back this up? I
> would expect it to be slightly faster, but not dramatically -- especially not
> on the widely recommended hashed repositories.

Unfortunately the difference is still dramatic.
I tried to download darcs.net (no patches, --lazy --no-cache) with
darcs 2.3.1, compiled with curl and without curl.
I used a 2 mbit HDSL dedicated line, with no other activities (with
multiple runs, results were extremely similar).

darcs with curl: 131 seconds
darcs without curl: 260 seconds

That's almost 100% more time.

Activating or deactivating http pipelining with curl made no difference.

An interesting thing is that the "Other bytes" indicator in Windows
for the process (that usually indicates network activity) is 8.5 MB
for darcs with curl, and 18.3 MB for darcs without curl; it seems that
somehow the HTTP backend is exchanging a lot more data.

Salvatore