[darcs-users] Coalescing patches

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Sep 23 12:20:04 UTC 2009

Nik writes:

 > http://nik.homelinux.net/files/darcs-coalescing.html
 >
 > If anyone has any comments on this, I would be very interested to read them.

At the commit level, I don't really see how you can beat git, since
for a pure "squash", it can edit the history DAG directly, and in
general can accomplish rebase very efficiently.

What would be interesting would be if patch theory allowed Darcs to
coalesce better (ie, with fewer conflicts, or spurious changes dragged
along with the desired ones), and/or the new hunk editing capabilities
allowed coalescing to have an efficient UI at a lower lever than
commits.