[darcs-users] darcs patch: switch Darcs.Patch.FileName to be ByteString.Char8 int...

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sun Sep 27 18:10:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/09/2009 04:57, Jason Dagit wrote:
>
>> I ran this more with normal builds and just the GC statistics.  Here is
>> what we see:
>> unmodified darcs:
>> 469 MB total memory in use (3 MB lost due to fragmentation)
>> Total time   26.51s  ( 29.76s elapsed)
>> Productivity  85.6% of total user, 76.2% of total elapsed
>>
>> 469 MB total memory in use (3 MB lost due to fragmentation)
>> Total time   26.59s  ( 32.47s elapsed)
>> Productivity  85.6% of total user, 70.1% of total elapsed
>>
>> 469 MB total memory in use (3 MB lost due to fragmentation)
>> Total time   26.54s  ( 29.95s elapsed)
>> Productivity  85.5% of total user, 75.8% of total elapsed
>>
>> With my patch applied:
>> 554 MB total memory in use (4 MB lost due to fragmentation)
>> Total time   23.30s  ( 31.56s elapsed)
>> Productivity  83.1% of total user, 61.3% of total elapsed
>>
>> 554 MB total memory in use (4 MB lost due to fragmentation)
>> Total time   22.85s  ( 26.33s elapsed)
>> Productivity  82.9% of total user, 71.9% of total elapsed
>>
>> 554 MB total memory in use (4 MB lost due to fragmentation)
>> Total time   22.88s  ( 26.38s elapsed)
>> Productivity  82.8% of total user, 71.8% of total elapsed
>>
>> Now that the profiler is disabled the productivity with my changes is
>> less, the run-time is maybe improved by 2-3 seconds, and the memory
>> usage has increased by almost 100 megs.  I can only assume that the
>> profiling is interfering with my results a fair bit.
>>

> The profile graphs in your previous message showed a residency of around
> ~30M before your patch, and ~6M after your patch.  Which seems like a
> worthwhile saving.  I presume those graphs were from a different test case?
>  If not, then something very strange is going on.  If they are from a
> different test case, then do the numbers stand up when using the
> non-profiled darcs?

Simon,

I just tried my test case with retainer profiling and it consistently
segfaults.

My GHC is 6.10.4 on OSX 10.5.8.  I'll make a backup on my current source
code, but I'm not sure how to make that available to you.  Is there anything
more info I could send you to help you figure out why it segfaults for me?
I know I've done retainer profiling on this machine on darcs with this ghc
in the past so I think it's related to my current build or configuration.

Thanks,
Jason