[darcs-users] darcs patch: add utility functions to Commands.lhs (and 5 more)

Florent Becker florent.becker at ens-lyon.org
Mon Sep 28 07:51:32 UTC 2009

Reinier Lamers wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here's a review of the first two patches. I want to know if you really
> want to undo some changes that your patches have conflicted with. If so, I
> will push it, otherwise, please amend.

I'll amend. It seems I have not amended the right patches when I resolved
conflicts, so you're just seeing garbage. Sorry for that. This makes one
more argument in favor of testing at send time rather than (or in addition
to) at record time.

> These changes offer some useful functionality, but they do suffer from the
> problems inherent in the current [DarcsFlag] paradigm of command line
> handling. It seems that when you specify both --quiet and --verbose, you
> get the debug output but not the info output.

Yes, but I don't know what would be the right behaviour when faced with such
an inconsistent user.

> Also, isn't it a better idea to write verbose output to standard error
> (putVerbose writes to stdout)? Now you can get verbose output in your XML
> when you use --verbose and --xml-output at the same time.

I didn't specifically adress that combination, but it's already the case
with the current darcs. I tried not to affect darcs' observable behaviour.
When these patches are amended, it'll probably be a good idea to change
that.

Thanks for the review,

Florent