[darcs-users] [issue1627] seamless SVN integration

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 20:49:46 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Eric Kow's message of Wed Sep 30 22:14:11 +0200 2009:
> Did you mean to send this just to me? or also to darcs-users?

No, it was not intended. I've bounced both mails to darcs-users.

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 16:18:53 +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> > > But won't this cause pain and suffering for Darcs users that create
> > > mv patches and then depend on them?
> >
> > Right, but you have the choice of what is SVN repo for. You can for instance,
> > migrate slowly from SVN to darcs, and at some point no longer push to the SVN.
>
> So part of the goal for me is to reduce the cost of trying Darcs out.
> Having to convert your repo is cost, so if we support SVN somehow we
> kill that cost.  But another form of cost is having to worry that Darcs
> will let you do things that you can't later push back to the SVN repo
> (because you're still not yet committed to Darcs; you're just dipping
> your toes).  So that's my goal.  100% compatibility, zero psychological
> cost.  Just try it!  Darcs as a better SVN client.  See what I mean?

So I will be in favor of, a warning, or a confirmation by the user.
And maybe not based on a change of the repo format, but more a "do this repo
has an SVN repo in its _darcs/prefs/repos list".

--
Nicolas Pouillard
http://nicolaspouillard.fr