[darcs-users] Handling relative directories

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:31:43 UTC 2010

> > Here's a crazy idea: use the POSIX "*at" functions, see man openat for
> > an explanation and links to the related functions. The API can be
> > emulated on Windows at the performance cost that has already been noted.
> >
> > The downside of course would be not using the ordinary System.*
> > functions and having to write your own binding. Of course such a binding
> > would be useful more widely, probably best as an implementation
> > substrate in some new IO lib that has an abstract FilePath type.
>
> Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I did run across openat when doing some
> research on the problem, but I had mistakenly got the impression it was
> only available on Solaris.
>
> Doing a good job of the library won't be a quick job, but it sounds worth
> doing if we can find someone willing :-) Any volunteers?

Another possibility which uses somewhat less FFI would be to use a
different representation of FilePath in darcs. I understand you already
do use some different type.

One option would be to use a representation like a reverse-order list of
path components, with each component stored as a short packed string.
That allows for sharing between paths and would reduce the cost of using
long absolute paths.

You'd still have a conversion via String to use the System.IO functions,
but at least that's only temporary garbage so affects just CPU time not
overall memory use.

Duncan