[darcs-users] Another possible bug in URL.waitNextUrl: curl_multi_perform?

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Fri Apr 2 16:39:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> We've been receiving quite a few bug reports with an error message like
> the above.
>
>  Another possible bug in URL.waitNextUrl:  curl_multi_perform() - no
>  running handles
>
> First, does anybody else see these error messages?  If so, please file
> a ticket on bugs at darcs.net including if possible
>
>  - darcs version
>  - libcurl version
>  - flags for compiling darcs (particularly, if you're using
> -fcurl-pipelining)
>  - if you can reproduce this at all, and provide --debug-http output

The version of GHC that darcs was built with is also useful.  The reason I
say that, is because ghc 6.10.2 was the first GHC release that runs
finalizers during major garbage collection.  Before this change finalizers
would get scheduled but were not run frequently (perhaps only run at program
exit).  I've seen this introduce FFI bugs in at least one library I use at
work (Takusen).  Therefore, I think it's wroth trying to rule out this
possible cause.  NOTE:  I haven't looked at the curl library to know if it's
using finalizers, but every ForeignPtr has a finalizer so it's possible.

Jason