[darcs-users] Handling relative directories

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 8 12:31:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 21:17 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:

> <with my darcs dev hat on>
> It sounds like we should keep using ByteString instead of rolling our
> own solution.  We're in the version control business, not the low
> level string abstraction business.  Maybe we should use ByteString and
> let it catch up in optimizations on its own schedule.
> <removing the hat>
>

> How much work/effort is the refactor you talk about?  I mean, the
> refactor of ByteString to not use ForeignPtrs.

Oh I'm not suggesting you do that. A ShortString module would be quite
small and simple, because the operations you need are just Eq, Ord and
conversion to String or ByteString.

It's on my TODO list to make such a thing, but it'd be easy enough to
bundle in darcs for a release or two.

> How much work/effort to convince the ByteString user base that the
> refactor is ready for consumption?

That's my job, not yours. :-)

> I ask because it's a change that could add a lot of value to our
> benchmarking efforts for darcs by giving us more accurate heap usage
> information and better garbage collection if the fragmentation is
> reduced.

Don't hold your breath about a switch. Mind you, the problem sounds like
a bug in the existing profiling. Make a good test case and send in a
report.

Duncan