[darcs-users] GSoC: network optimisation vs cache?

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Apr 13 21:45:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'd like to ask for some feedback on prioritising work for the Google
> Summer of Code.

[snip]

> What do you think?  We'll be discussing other aspects of this choice
> off-list among folks listed on http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsTeam, but I
> thought it was important that you all had some input into the technical
> choices behind this.

At the risk of sounding rude...

What is the justification for having darcs related discussions off-list?
It's an open source project with a public mailing list so I'm curious what
motivates a private non-publicly archived discussion?  Especially one that
would appear to prioritize future development?

I realize that I'm the first one to reply to this thread publicly after a
few days so it could just be a lack of interest on our user mailing list?

I would like to caution that having private discussions about GSoC projects
could lead to less overall consensus, a deterioration of transparency for
the project, and loss of the concerns that go into the decision making
process.  I unsubscribbed from the list because I think it's the wrong way
to discuss the GSoC proposals.

Jason