[darcs-users] GSoC: network optimisation vs cache?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Apr 14 08:29:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 14:45:10 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> What is the justification for having darcs related discussions off-list?
> It's an open source project with a public mailing list so I'm curious what
> motivates a private non-publicly archived discussion?  Especially one that
> would appear to prioritize future development?

The prioritisation of future development should be done publicly.

That's why I started this thread in the first place.

> I realize that I'm the first one to reply to this thread publicly after a
> few days so it could just be a lack of interest on our user mailing list?
>
> I would like to caution that having private discussions about GSoC projects
> could lead to less overall consensus, a deterioration of transparency for
> the project, and loss of the concerns that go into the decision making
> process.

You're absolutely right that we should private discussions.

Karl Fogel does an excellent job explaining why
  http://producingoss.com/en/setting-tone.html

But sometimes private discussions are a necessary evil.  For example,
perhaps in the future Darcs will be so successful that we'll start
seeing an influx of difficult people on list.  There some private
discussion may be helpful for working out ways to resolve the situation.

In this particular case, I felt it was important to create a private
space so we could offer our opinions about the relative merits of the
students themselves apart from the core prioritisation of development.
Not everybody is comfortable talking about people on a public list.

Thanks,