[darcs-users] GSoC: network optimisation vs cache vs library?

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Apr 15 02:49:27 UTC 2010

On 04/14/10 20:18, Max Battcher wrote:
> All of which goes to show that Trac+darcs still isn't well optimized for
> caching darcs queries or dealing gracefully with with long running
> command invocations... I still say the Trac reliance on CVS/SVN-style
> revision numbers means that Trac is absolutely not well-adapted for
> serving darcs repositories. It may be "revision 1782" to Trac, but 'show
> contents --match "hash 2008..."' is "commute this file to how it would
> appear if only the patches preceding or equal to this one with a
> timestamp from two years ago were applied" to darcs. (Which ends up
> being quite possibly not a "real" historic version at all,

Well, suppose you have a public darcs repository for a project. (Such as
GHC HEAD.)  If you look at the history of the real world (as opposed to
darcs' conception of history), this repo contained a series of states
over time.  What infrastructure would we need, to be able to look at
this series usefully/efficiently years later?  (I am reckoning that this
concept of history is useful enough that it's worth creating whether or
not darcs itself can support it. Does anyone agree/disagree?)

-Isaac