[darcs-users] Conversion to darcs2 repositories

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Thu Apr 22 07:30:12 UTC 2010

> On 15 Apr 2010, at 17:36, Dan Pascu wrote:
>

>> When I convert a repository to the darcs2 format I get a message
>> like this:
>>
>> We have conflicts in the following files:
>> ./.boring ./README ./cjson.c ./debian/changelog ./debian/compat ./
>> jsontest.py ./setup.py Finished converting.
>>
>> If I check the working directory of the converted repository against
>> the working directory of the darcs1 repo that was converted, they
>> are the same. Also if I run darcs check --complete on the darcs2
>> repo it says that the repo is consistent. So apparently the repo was
>> converted fine, but what exactly do those messages mean in that case?

Is the message preceded by something like "lossy conversion of
complicated conflict"?

If so, then although the final state of the repository is the same as in
the pre-conversion repository, some aspects of the history have been
lost. In particular if you had patches A, B, C in that order (perhaps
separated by some other patches), where A and B conflicted and C
resolved the conflict, then the converted repository will effectively
lose the contents of B, replacing it with a patch that undoes the effect
of A instead. After C things will be back to normal.

Really the conversion should be cleverer than this and produce a darcs2
format conflict instead, but I think this was inadvertently disabled -
see http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1809 for a bit more explanation.

Ganesh