[darcs-users] Conversion to darcs2 repositories

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Apr 22 13:05:27 UTC 2010

On 22 Apr 2010, at 10:30, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:

>> On 15 Apr 2010, at 17:36, Dan Pascu wrote:
>>

>>> When I convert a repository to the darcs2 format I get a message
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> We have conflicts in the following files:
>>> ./.boring ./README ./cjson.c ./debian/changelog ./debian/compat ./
>>> jsontest.py ./setup.py Finished converting.
>>>
>>> If I check the working directory of the converted repository against
>>> the working directory of the darcs1 repo that was converted, they
>>> are the same. Also if I run darcs check --complete on the darcs2
>>> repo it says that the repo is consistent. So apparently the repo was
>>> converted fine, but what exactly do those messages mean in that
>>> case?
>
> Is the message preceded by something like "lossy conversion of
> complicated conflict"?

No. That's all it said. However it may repeat the message as it finds
more conflicting files later (it outputs the same message but with an
updated file list). Like this:

We have conflicts in the following files:
./.boring ./README ./cjson.c ./debian/changelog ./debian/compat

We have conflicts in the following files:
./.boring ./README ./cjson.c ./debian/changelog ./debian/compat ./
jsontest.py
./setup.py
Finished converting.

I should also mention that this is not an isolated case. I've seen
this with every repository I tried to convert (tried 2-3).

Maybe the message is harmless because darcs handled the conflicts. But
in this case it should be more user friendly, like: "Solved conflicts
in the following files:". Such a message would prevent the user from
getting confused about the result. That's why I asked if someone
knowledgeable in the internals can clarify what that message means and
possibly rephrase it in case the conflicts were handled successfully
to avoid confusion.

--
Dan