[darcs-users] Equality dependencies among support packages [was: Something is seriously wrong with Darcs on Windows]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 26 03:27:00 UTC 2010

Petr Rockai writes:

 > PS: I have push'd a dependency bump on mainline. I'll let others resolve
 > the situation wrt 2.4.x...

These dependencies are a serious pain on MacPorts.  It apears that
only darcs uses hashed-storage (the hs-hashed-storage package), and
maybe that only hs-hashed-storage uses hs-mmap (but MacPorts
dependencies often lie).  However, the maintainers are not very
careful about keeping them synced, and versions evidently are
incompatible in important ways.  The result is that darcs can't be
upgraded for weeks at a time (which I can live with, old versions of
darcs continue to work fine) and that "port upgrade outdated" no
longer works because there's no way to say "the darcs port is broken,
don't bother".  The second is a daily annoyance, and moderately
painful if some change in gettext or a GUI toolkit causes several
dozen packages to get upgraded simultaneously.

I realize that it's a pain for Darcs workers, too, but as long as the
interfaces of the various packages are going to keep changing,
wouldn't it be preferable to bundle working versions of these packages
with Darcs?