[darcs-users] Something is seriously wrong with Darcs on Windows

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Tue Apr 27 14:01:22 UTC 2010

Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> writes:
> On 27/04/2010 13:37, Petr Rockai wrote:
>> I see. Well, indeed, strictly speaking this is not a public API. On the
>> other hand, there's no public API that can be used to do a stat without
>> considerable overhead. (The problem with the public API is that it uses
>> unsafePerformIO which is *very* expensive...)
>
> Which public API are you referring to?  I'd recommend using System.Win32 for
> this kind of thing on Windows if possible.  If you call lstat you're already
> going through a layer of translation, namely the msvcrt runtime.

I was referring to things like System.Directory and
System.Posix(Compat).Files. These seem to be the right high-level APIs
that I am probably supposed to use, but they are hopelessly inefficient
(even on UNIX). Meaning, I have to rely on System.Posix.Internals on at
least UNIX, and for all I can tell, this is supposed to work on windows
as well. Although now that we need special win32 code anyway, it may
make sense to move to System.Win32 (I will have to look into that
... later).

Yours,
   Petr.