[darcs-users] Darcs on OS X

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Apr 27 19:10:45 UTC 2010

Folks,

I think Darcs should provide provide official binaries for MacOS X to go
with the Windows ones.

I think we can leave Linux alone on the grounds of them having their own
mechanisms for getting packages.  Mac users can opt to use something
like MacPorts and Fink, but perhaps not everybody does this.  Also, at
present, the MacPorts packages can be a pain to install, whereas the
fink packages tend to lag behind.

See Florian Gilcher's comments
  http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2010-April/023806.html
for more specific recommendations

Comments?  Any reason this may be a bad idea, cautionary notes?

PS. We don't have experience providing binaries.  Salvatore's
    Windows binaries for 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 are a first experiment.
    Tips on technical or other policies (eg. what to expect of
    official packagers) would be welcome.  For example, perhaps
    it would make sense to require some sort of signature for
    the packages.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9