[darcs-users] [issue1891] darcs stash

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Aug 4 10:57:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:13:21 +0100, Ashley Moran wrote:
> > am>    * B records patch "WIP - UNRECORD"
> > am>    * C pulls "WIP - UNRECORD"
> > am>    * C unrecords "WIP - UNRECORD"
> > am>    * B obliterates "WIP - UNRECORD"
> >
> > Max has a point there, Ashley.  If you're going to work this way (obliterating
> > patches that others have pulled) why not just record a bunch of "WIP" patches
> > and when you're ready to save them, do something like

> Sorry for the delay replying.  Max is correct, that this can be done
> using existing features in Darcs.  It's a *lot* easier now all the
> repos are on Dropbox - doing this workflow with patchbundle files is
> painful.  But it's something that come up often enough that I started
> to wish that transferring WIP could be done in one move.

OK, and just to be precise, you agree that the workflow Max suggested
would have been easier than the one you were using were you still in the
pre-Dropbox days, right?

> It hasn't been an issue lately, as I've only had one concurrent pair
> working on the code (me and someone else).  It may only be beneficial
> to teams that do rapid pair switching, and maybe also only if the team
> is (partially) distributed... which I imagine isn't a huge proportion
> of darcs users.

I'd like to hear more people who would actually use this and who would
find the alternative record many 'WIP...' patches and unrecord them in
one go workflow too painful in practice.

We really have to work hard and be principled at resisting feature creep
and shaping our features so they all fit together harmoniously.  Hence
the interminable discussions!

For a faster response, please try +44 (0)1273 64 2905.