[darcs-users] milestones (Was [issue1904])

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Aug 7 10:41:34 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 05:17:43 +0000, Jason Dagit wrote:
> Perhaps I don't understand the milestones.  I would have thought that
> "2.5.0 CURRENT" means 2.5.x and that "2.6.0 HEAD" means the branch that
> becomes 2.6.0 BEFORE the 2.6.0 release branch is created.

We use the milestones in a slightly different way from the Target-X.Y
keywords we used to use.  The latter worked like you described; they
referred to a development line.  The new milestones system refers to
precise versions.  2.5.0 CURRENT literally means the 2.5.0 release, and
2.8.0 HEAD means the 2.8.0 release (Just renamed from 2.6.0 to
accommodate a switch to the odds/evens beta/stable numbering scheme).

For background, see
  http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2010-June/024311.html

The idea is that we're not a priori anticipating the need for a Darcs
2.5.1 (although we may need to create one if the need arises).

So the way we'd currently cope with such tickets is:

0. Darcs 2.5.0 has been released; rename 2.5.0 CURRENT to 2.5.0 STABLE
   [this is just a superficial change in the milestone object]
1. Decide we need to release a Darcs 2.5.1
2. Create a new milestone object named 2.5.1 CURRENT
3. Locate the tickets we think are important for 2.5.1 CURRENT and
   retroactively change the milestone from 2.8.0 HEAD
   to 2.5.1 CURRENT

Now this seems fairly sane/straightforward to me, but there could be
flaws I had not anticipated, so I would be open a different approach.

For example, we could maybe have proactively create a milestone like
2.5.1 HYPOTHETICAL when we cut the 2.5.0 release branch, which if it
was not necessary, we would then have to lump back into 2.8.0 HEAD.

Hmm, the hope is to have something that covers our cases fairly
reasonably and is intuitive enough...  I hope we get there.

For a faster response, please try +44 (0)1273 64 2905.