[darcs-users] [patch331] Suggest public domain for tests by default.

Reinier Lamers bugs at darcs.net
Sat Aug 7 15:14:04 UTC 2010

Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de> added the comment:

Hi Eric,

Op zaterdag 07 augustus 2010 11:46 schreef Eric Kow:
> New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:
> Just a quick question for you.  Is it OK if we change the EXAMPLE.sh
template
> to just "Public domain" instead of the BSD3 boilerplate?
>
> I hope it's not some discussion we've already had that I'm just being too
lazy
> to search for. :-(

AFAIK, we had it. The outcome was that a BSD license is better than putting it
in the public domain because putting something in the public domain is legally
murky.

Googling stuff, looking at http://blog.mises.org/9240/copyright-is-very-
sticky/ or http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/no-rights-reserved.html, it seems
that many copyright laws do not give you a way to give up the copyright that
you got automatically.

The Creative Commons Zero license
(http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode) is a license that
attempts to do the same as putting something in the public domain, but
portably across jurisdictions. It looks a LOT more complicated than the BSD
license.

Reinier

nosy: +tux_rocker