[darcs-users] darcs-benchmark 0.1.9 - benchmarking help wanted for 2.5

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Aug 8 14:49:11 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

I'm pleased to announce the latest release of darcs-benchmark with some
nice backend work by Petr and a few UI tweaks from me.

With the Darcs-2.5 release getting closer and closer, we're going to
need a little more benchmarking help.

First: we're missing benchmarking numbers for Windows.  Max has
volunteered a few of them, but there are holes because darcs-benchmark
was buggy at the time.  Could I get a volunteer to flesh out our 2.5
benchmarks on Windows?  Perhaps Max?

Second: it'd be nice to have some numbers comparing old-fashioned
repositories on Darcs 1.0.9 with hashed repositories in Darcs 2.5.
Nathan, would you be interested in repeating your experiments?

Third: If you have already provided us with benchmarks for 2.4.4 vs 2.5,
could you please upgrade darcs-benchmark and re-run darcs-benchmark
report?

     cabal update
     cabal install darcs-benchmark
     darcs-benchmark report

There are some changes to how we report the results (mean => mean + sd,
and now graphs in front), and it would be great if all our benchmark
results were uniform.  Note also the darcs-benchmark run --converge
feature below if you're interested in refining your numbers (getting rid
of the "~" and "?"s)

Fourth: if you have participated in darcs benchmarking, but not for this
release, please move away the contents of your ~/.darcs-benchmark
directory to avoid cluttering the report.

Thanks all!

Eric

Changes in darcs-benchmark 0.1.9
   * darcs binaries are now identified by a hash of darcs --exact-version
     to avoid lumping together results from different mid-release darcs
   * timings are now reported as mean + one standard deviation
   * graphs are displayed before numbers
   * new run --converge flag to runs benchmarks for which there is still
     insufficient data
   * support for hg/git variants of repositories (experimental, disabled
     by default)

For a faster response, please try +44 (0)1273 64 2905.