[darcs-users] [patch342] Adding information about cache handling to manual

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Aug 12 11:32:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 20:00:45 +0000, Adolfo Builes wrote:
> Wed Aug 11 15:02:11 COT 2010  builes.adolfo at googlemail.com
>   * Adding information about cache handling to manual

Yeah, that looks better.  I've pushed a patch of my own on top
of this if that's OK; it just tightens up the wording a little
bit.  Thanks!

Adding information about cache handling to manual
> +\subsection{Per-repository caches and possible conflicts}
> +Each time a repository is get, its remote and local location, are
> +added as entries in \_darcs/prefs/sources. An entry in
> +\_darcs/prefs/sources could become totally or temporally unreachable,
> +when that happens, it can cause darcs to hang for a long time trying
> +to reach an unreachable repository. Fortunately darcs has a mechanism
> +which helps us to deal with that problem: if a conflictive entry is
> +discovered, darcs stops using it for the rest of the session and then
> +notifies to the user to take further action. It will display a message
> +like the following.\\
> +\begin{verbatim}
> +> I could not reach the following repository:
> +> http://darcs.net/
> +> If you're not using it, you should probably delete
> +> the corresponding entry from _darcs/prefs/sources.

The main change being to remove the idea of conflicts to avoid potentially
confusing users.

eyk> Each time a repository is get, its location is added as an
eyk> entry in \_darcs/prefs/sources.  If one of these repositories were to
eyk> become totally or temporarily unreachable, it can cause darcs to hang
eyk> for a long time trying to reach it.  Fortunately darcs has a mechanism
eyk> which helps us to deal with that problem: if an unreachable entry is
eyk> discovered, darcs stops using it for the rest of the session and then
eyk> notifies to the user to take further action. It will display a message
eyk> like the following.\\

For a faster response, please try +44 (0)1273 64 2905.