[darcs-users] darcs rollback

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Thu Aug 12 20:19:46 UTC 2010

Ben Franksen wrote:
> Eric Kow wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:46:02 +0200, Benjamin Franksen wrote:
>>> 'darcs rollback' seems to offer only patches that are not depended upon
>>> by other patches in the same repo. I don't understand the reason for
>>> this limitation. If someone could enlighten me I'd be grateful.
>>
>> Are you specifically asking about rollback -p or --match or just the
>> behaviour of the interactive UI? [it's actually the same thing under
>> the hood].
>
> No, I was using interactive UI. The patch (call it A) I wanted to rollback
> had another patch (call it B) depending on it. B was offered by 'darcs
> rollback' and when I said 'n[o]' (because I want to rollback A) then I do
> not get offered A. How do I rollback A? Is it impossible and if yes, why?
> I ask because this would make rollback far less useful than I thought it
> were.
>
> Is this so because darcs does not know how to compute the inverse of a
> patch that some other patch depends upon?

I see now that something quite similar has been asked very recently
(subject: Easiest way to recover a change from an old patch?).

Looks like I have to say 'y[es]' to B but not actually rollback anything,
the move on to A, right?

What happens if I (try to) rollback a tag?

If this is how to do it then yes, this could be mentioned in the docs, maybe
in the FAQs.

Cheers
Ben