[darcs-users] darcs-benchmark 0.1.9 - benchmarking help wanted for 2.5

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Aug 17 09:37:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:16:00 -0400, Nathan Gray wrote:
> I tried running some benchmarks over the weekend.  My computer
> was unresponsive when I tried to login this morning.  I see that
> one file was written at

Oh dear!

>   ~/.darcs-benchmarks/vs2-warm.timings/2010-08-13T2035

Perhaps tar-bzip2 your ~/.darcs-benchmark directory and send it
our way.  It could provide some clues, although I'm a bit doubtful

> When I try to run any darcs-benchmark commands I now get:
>
>   No benchmarks to run for <repo_name_here>

Which repository is this?

That's funny. It should only do this when you either somehow tell
darcs-benchmark not to run any benchmarks, or if you use the --converge
flag.  Without any flags passed to darcs-benchmark, it should by rights
run a standard set of benchmarks :-(

Any other hints? Command line options you may be using?

> I ran my original benchmark over the weekend with darcs-2.4.98.2,
> which means I would think that I would be able to run everything
> again, since this is a new darcs binary.

For what it's worth, I don't think that the binaries are different
enough to be worth repeating the benchmarking

> I'm not sure how to get unstuck.

Could you try running darcs-benchmark on the tabular repo (it's a tiny
repo which is mostly meant for checking darcs-benchark itself).

You may have to run darcs-benchmark get to actually fetch the tarball.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the help!