[darcs-users] darcs-benchmark 0.1.9 - benchmarking help wanted for 2.5

Nathan Gray kolibrie at graystudios.org
Wed Aug 18 16:08:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:29:14AM +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> Also, I wonder if the filtering mechanism for repository variants
> is related to this.  This is what it currently looks like (sorry for the
> Haskell):
>
>     -- | The subset of variants appropriate to the given darcs version
>     appropriateVariants :: TestBinary -> [Variant] -> [Variant]
>     appropriateVariants bin = filter (appropriate . vId)
>       where appropriate GitVariant
>               | vcs /= VCSGit = False
>             appropriate HgVariant
>               | vcs /= VCSHg = False
>             appropriate OptimizePristineVariant
>               | vcs /= VCSDarcs || ver < [2,3,97] = False
>             appropriate DefaultVariant
>               | vcs /= VCSDarcs || ver > [2,4,96] = False
>             appropriate _ = True
>             vcs = binVCS bin
>             ver = binVersion bin
>
> It's saying that we never use the OptimizePristineVariant variant before
> darcs 2.3.97 and we never use the DefaultVariant after 2.4.96.  The latter
> sounds like an interesting clue.  Do we have an optimize pristine variant
> for the cap repo?

I made a new repo:

  darcs get repo.cap-2 repo.cap-2-optpristine
  cd repo.cap-2-optpristine
  darcs optimize --pristine

The benchmark still does not work with darcs-2.4.98.3 nor
darcs-2.4.98.2.  It does appear to work with darcs-2.3.99.2 (at
least it starts, but I killed it immediately).

So something about these binaries does not seem to be working
with my version of darcs-benchmark.

  $ darcs-benchmark --version
  darcs-benchmark 0.1.9: run standard darcs benchmarks

I just downloaded and installed a new version of darcs-benchmark
from http://code.haskell.org/darcs/darcs-benchmark, minus the one
patch:

  Sat Aug  7 19:54:25 EDT 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
    * Switch commandline parsing to cmdlib.

It gives the exact same message:

  No benchmarks to run for cap - darcs-2 optimized pristine format

> Now that this infrastructure is in place, you may be interested to note that we
> may be able to put in logic of sort "if version < 2, only use the old-fashioned
> variant" or "avoid using using old-fashioned variant in darcs >= 2"

I would not mind the first (if version < 2, only use the
old-fashioned variant) but would rather not have the second
(avoid using using old-fashioned variant in darcs >= 2).  I would
like to be able to compare darcs-2 running on an old-fashioned as
well as an optimized hashed repository.

-kolibrie