[darcs-users] support for old-fashioned repos (Was: Optimize darcs diff)

Nathan Gray kolibrie at graystudios.org
Thu Aug 19 20:07:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 04:14:28PM +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> How about ensuring that for users who are still deliberately using
> hashed repositories, hashed repositories are no longer a significant
> performance regression?
>
> How about answering concerns Ian may have about hashed repository
> performance in practice?
>
>  - Garbage collection?
>  - Large _darcs/pristine.hashed due to insufficient bucketing?

I think you might have meant 'deliberately using old fashioned
repositories'.

I still deliberately use old fashioned repositories, with
darcs-1.0.9.  As soon as I can show that we will have no
performance regressions, I'm all for moving to darcs-2 and hashed
repositories.

I was originally thinking we would migrate all the way to darcs 2
format repositories, but the migration path is sufficiently difficult
that I do not know if we will ever attempt it.

I'd like to see 'darcs add' added to darcs-benchmark.  I
attempted it many months ago, but did not quite get it working
before being overwhelmed with other stuff.  I'm not sure if
'darcs diff' needs benchmarking, or if 'darcs annotate' takes
care of that.

I'm also interested in what has come out of 'camp', with regards
to repository format, patch theory, and such, or if it is still
too early.

-kolibrie