[darcs-users] Fast import/export, contrib packages & hashed-storage

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Mon Aug 23 08:00:29 UTC 2010

me at mornfall.net wrote:

> So there are basically two options: either all the contrib packages
> adhere to the hashed-storage lockstep policy and releasing new
> contrib packages runs even more risk of requiring a new (lib)darcs
> release, or we, afterall, relax the lockstep dependency on
> hashed-storage.
>
> I would actually prefer the latter, since linking libdarcs is quite a
> hassle already and if it gives such strict upper bounds on its
> dependencies, it becomes even worse (if you happen to also use those
> dependencies directly).

Can we relax it just for libdarcs but not the darcs exe?

This won't survive once darcs itself uses libdarcs directly, but that
might be a while anyway.

If it gets too messy I agree we should just relax it for both.

However in this particular case, don't you depend on 0.6.0 whereas darcs
is using 0.5.x? Is 0.6 backwards compatible enough that we could depend
on >=0.5.2 and < 0.7 in darcs?

> PS: Another slight issue with this specific to-be-package is the
> name... how would you call it? Naming it darcs-convert would be
> probably quite confusing, since there's already "darcs convert".
> Calling it either import or export sucks, because it does both.
> Splitting the package sucks even more. Ideas?

darcs-fastconvert, perhaps?

Ganesh