[darcs-users] support for old-fashioned repos (Was: Optimize darcs diff)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Aug 25 10:09:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 19:04:18 +0300, Dan Pascu wrote:
> If get is supported, shouldn't then push/pull also be supported?
> Otherwise interaction with the repo will not be possible past the
> initial checkout.

The new Darcs would essentially be forcing you to upgrade to hashed.

As Guillaume says, we could include Darcs 2.5 as part of our phase-out
plan.  As far as I can see, there may be a danger of repeating the bad
experience of Darcs 2.0.0 (everybody is scared to upgrade), but maybe
that's not so terrible?

With few responses on this thread, I'm getting the impression that there
is more enthusiasm about moving on, and few reservations about
deprecating old-fashioned repositories than I'd anticipated.  Is that
really accurate?

My inner hacker would be really enthusiastic about the advocated flame
thrower approach to refactoring, but I'm trying to pretend to be a
wizened old man and restrain him (well, Petr, who would actually wield
such flame thrower with the community's blessing, but one can always
flame throw vicariously).  If the message really "let her rip!", it
sounds a bit too good to be true.

Is there something we've missed?