[darcs-users] is this a legitimate way to convert from v1 to v2?

Lev Lvovsky lists2 at sonous.com
Thu Aug 26 18:50:33 UTC 2010

Hi Eric,

On Aug 26, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Eric Kow wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 06:35:13 -0700, Lev Lvovsky wrote:
>>> darcs get main tmp
>>> darcs pull --repo tmp main-branch
>>>
>>> Then converting main and tmp separately should work
>>
>> We cannot guarantee that it'll be a prefix.  In my case, the patches
>> in the branch repo happen to fall in the middle of the timeline of the
>> main repo.
>
> I'd expect the darcs get and pull approach to make it a prefix
> (since darcs will just happily commute away).
>
> You can check by doing a diff on the darcs changes output
> (perhaps both graphical and textual just to make sure)

It's possible then, that I don't understand what a "prefix" is in terms of darcs.  In the case above (and in all of the cases which we try), all of the patches in the branch will appear after (order-wise in the 'changes' output) all of the main repo patches (iirc).  What situations would not cause this "prefix" behavior?

thanks,
-lev