[darcs-users] [issue2011] refuse to pull/apply patches if you have unrecorded changes

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Mon Dec 6 10:31:54 UTC 2010

On 6 Dec 2010, at 12:03, Florent Becker wrote:

> Le 05/12/2010 23:44, Ganesh Sittampalam a écrit :

>> Since it's only a problem when there are conflicts, and darcs knows
>> when
>> there are, we could restrict the refusal to those situations.
>> Either if
>> there are any conflicts, or preferably if there are any conflicts
>> with
>> unrecorded changes.
>
> How about:
>
> These changes conflict with your unrecorded changes, do you want to
> record them as "UNRECORDED DRAFT" before proceeding? (yn…)

I just noticed this thread, but I disagree with everything proposed
thus far. In my workflow I found that it is much better to pull a
patch that conflicts over an unrecorded change than over a recorded
one. In the former case I just fix the conflict in my working files
and then I record a patch that has no conflict. In the other case
(pulling over recorded patches) I will end up with a conflict that I
need to solve by recording a conflict resolution patch.

So refusing to pull a patch because it conflicts with my working files
would be a major let down in my case. Even if darcs would record a
temporary draft patch which I could unrecord later and keep my
workflow that avoids the conflict, it'll still make life much more
complicated than necessary.

In the end why is all of this needed? Is there any problem with data
integrity that needs to be addressed? Because I always found easier to
pull over unrecorded work in order to avoid dealing with unnecessary
conflict resolution patches. So I don;t really see how this would make
it easier to deal with conflicts. In my case it'll make it more
difficult.

--
Dan