[darcs-users] How to develop on a (GHC) branch with darcs

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 18:46:28 UTC 2010

Hello,

Thanks for all your responses (and the --skip-conflicts tip)!  I use
git for a lot of my development, so I was hoping that I was just
experiencing "culture shock" and simply doing things with the wrong
mind-set.  Given the responses though, it sounds like this is a well
known problem with darcs with no obvious solution.  For me, switching
GHC to git would certainly be a win.

In terms of the future of darcs, while better tools for managing
rebasing would certainly be useful, I am not confident that any
solution based on mutation (i.e., "rewriting history" by rebasing/
amend-recoding) would work well in a distributed environment due to
the difficulty of sharing these changes---it seems to require some
sort of "higher order" version control where you have to keep track of
the changes to the changes :-)

In the context of git, I only brought up "rebasing" because it seemed
like the closest concept to what I was doing with darcs.  If GHC was
to switch to git, I think that we should certainly use git's ordinary
merge model to keep track of history.

-Iavor

PS for VCS folks: I think that an interesting idea of combining darcs
and git would be to use git's graph-based history model, but to
annotate the edges on the graph with semantic patches ala darcs.  This
would make it possible to write smarter auto-merge strategies for git.