[darcs-users] seamless git integration (Was: How to develop on a (GHC) branch with darcs)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Dec 8 12:10:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 10:46:28 -0800, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> PS for VCS folks: I think that an interesting idea of combining darcs
> and git would be to use git's graph-based history model, but to
> annotate the edges on the graph with semantic patches ala darcs.  This
> would make it possible to write smarter auto-merge strategies for git.

Yeah, that's interesting indeed.  I got a chance to meet and chat with a
couple of Git developers this summer, and after I explained what it was
that makes Darcs unique, they starting wondering aloud if we could pack
this semantic patch information into this Git concept called "notes".

You may be able think of all our work on Darcs as being laying the
foundation for this sort of thing.  The current Darcs roadmap looks like
this:

- short term:  performance for current users <-- we are moving away from here
- medium term: library
- long term:   darcs 3

But lately (talking with some people), I do wonder if we need to start
to thinking very very hard about Seamless Git Integration, maybe so hard we
get it done before worrying about Darcs 3.  Maybe this needs to be our
Moon Landing:

   Darcs needs to be able to work with standard Git repositories

I'm think I've said before that I'm just here because I want to help
keep the Darcs Dream alive in the long term.  This boils down to
three things for me:

 - semantic patches
 - some sort of patch theory / precise merging
 - user interface (the deep stuff, not the details)

Right now, improving the Darcs client seems like the most viable path,
but it's not the *only* one.  Maybe Darcs could evolve into some kind of
ez-merge plugin that you can use with your favourite VCS, or reborn as
the ultimate Git client.  We're just trying to make advanced revision
control in a practical reality.  It doesn't matter so much how we go
about it.