[darcs-users] [patch149] Give Darcs.SelectChanges.text_view a san... (and 5 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon Feb 1 22:52:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Florent Becker wrote:

> These patches are for post-2.4, they add witnesses to
> Darcs.Commands.Changes. The main change is that PatchSet now has two
> type witnesses: we allow "partial PatchSets", which don't start at the
> initial (empty) state of the repo. A PatchSet start x goes from 'start'
> to 'x', and any tag appearing beyond the first RL in it is clean. The
> type 'Origin' is used as a witness to specify which functions need a
> PatchSet to be full, or yield a full PatchSet ( () used to be used for
> this, but I think it's not as clear).

Even if someone else reviews this too, I'd like to take a look before it
goes in, if that's ok. I might not be able to look before the weekend, but
will definitely do so then.

One immediate question: what does it mean for a tag to be "clean" in a
PatchSet that doesn't start from Origin? I can roughly guess what it means
operationally (the PatchSet was dissected from a PatchSet where the tag
was clean), but I'm a bit concerned that it won't have any direct meaning
for the new PatchSet. It leaves me wondering whether it does make sense to
reuse the PatchSet concept in this situation.

Cheers,

Ganesh