[darcs-users] request: please put a big "darcs annotate" and "darcs query contents" in the benchmarks

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 15:36:41 UTC 2010

On 07/02/2010 11:26, Eric Kow wrote:
> Hi Zooko,
>
> We're painfully aware of the suffering that darcs annotate and show
> contents can cause.
>
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 10:48:19 -0700, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
>> darcs query contents --quiet --match "hash 20081109101536-c31ef-
>> ccf6657d1e8ed9208677f19bf620868c23da72e4.gz"
>> "src/Darcs/Hopefully.lhs"
>
> For the interested, here is the latest status on this bug:
> http://bugs.darcs.net/msg9192 (issue1447 update 2009-11).
>
> The bad news: I'm afraid our attention is focused on other performance
> issues right now.  Petr has been squashing hashed-storage regressions
> (rah!).  For Darcs 2.5 we have a few other issues closer to the front of
> the queue.

In case it helps: this performance issue is important to us too.  We
don't have an online browser for the GHC repository for exactly this
reason - when we enabled it in Trac it brought the server to its knees.

I think I've become desensitized to the lack of annotate, which in some
ways is a bit sad. I would love to be able to annotate a source file
from within Emacs at the press of a key or two, and navigate the history
interactively.  You can do this with git, incedentally - I tried it on
the git import of GHC and it's wonderful. I'd probably use it all the
time if we had it.

The times I do need some kind of annotate I usually resort to 'darcs cha
-v | more' and search.

Cheers,
	Simon