[darcs-users] darcs benchmarking stage 2

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Feb 16 22:34:13 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

Just some updates on the benchmarking front for the upcoming Darcs 2.4

Here's the recent set of changes, largely from your input on the matter:

 - The Darcs wiki now uses an experimental version of Pandoc with
   rudimentary RST table support <http://github.com/kowey/pandoc/tree/rst>
 - darcs-benchmark has been updated to print out tables in the RST
   simple table format (cabal update; cabal install darcs-benchmark)

 - You can now limit the benchmarks being run by issuing --only
   substring (eg. darcs-benchmark run --only record --only revert)

Request to darcs benchmarking volunteers

 - cabal update
 - cabal install hashed-storage (should be 0.4.7)
 - cabal install darcs-benchmark
 - darcs get --lazy http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.4

 - produce some test benchmarks for the darcs darcs repository,
   e.g "darcs-benchmark run darcs-2.3.1 darcs-2.4rc1 / darcs"

 - paste the result into the

We'll have to sort out the formatting of that page later.

Any CSS gurus around?
Also, it would be nice if somebody could edit the Darcs wiki
static/css/custom.css file so that the tables are as
readable/informative as possible.  If you want to help,

  darcs get --lazy http://wiki.darcs.net
  darcs record
  darcs send

I hope this works out... there may be some more changes to
darcs-benchmark yet.  For instance, we still need a nice way to account
for darcs optimize --pristine.